CONTACT Ms. S and let her know about your interest in this service/internship
Attend the INFORMATION MEETING in September. Watch for emails for date/time.
Have your PARENT EMAIL Ms. S
) saying that they know what the trip costs and that they give permission for
you to be considered as a
Send your APPLICATION ESSAY (why you want to go) and proposed
PROJECT (details below) to Ms. S. by
Religion and Science teachers will read all of the application material
and will meet to determine the 4 candidates that will be invited to participate
in this service/internship
Delegates will be announced: TBA
member of this interdisciplinary Religion/Service/Science delegation you will be
asked to investigate some environmental, justice, socio-cultural issue,
question or problem that
relates to the sloths or the rainforest. Then, at the assembly following the
trip you will formally present to the community what you learned about your
AT THIS POINT YOU ARE BEING ASKED TO CHOOSE A TOPIC:
Examples of possible
sloths as an endangered species.
2. Some aspect of the original sloth research being done by Becky Cliffe.
3. The importance of rainforests and their biodiversity.
4. Particular threats to the rainforests in Costa Rica.
5. The impact of toxic pesticide use by banana corporations on the rainforests,
animals and humans.
6. Small organic farms as an solution to corporate banana/pineapple monoculture.
7. The sloths' particular evolutionary niche/strategy.
8. Why it is unethical, and should be illegal, to have sloths as 'pets'?
9. Why does the Sanctuary no longer allow visitors to hold or touch the
10. Why is it so difficult to rehabilitate hand-reared baby sloth orphans to
the jungle when they grow up?
11. Why is it so difficult to keep the rescued baby sloths alive?
12. How do sloths end up at the Sanctuary? What are the dangers/threats
13. Why has the sloth been seen in such a negative light: culturally and
14. Why is their so much published scientific mis-information about the
Please explain your question/issue/problem in the PROJECT part of your proposal:
1. Why you chose your topic/why it interests you/why you think it's important.
2. What the specific objective of your research would be.
3. What steps you would take to reach your objective i.e. your pre-trip
information gathering, who you would interview at the Sanctuary...etc.
You are encouraged to consult with your Science teachers and Ms. S who can help you to
develop your proposal.
Good Luck and We Wish
We Could Take You All!